Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Waffles with a side of chocolate please...

When one mentions Belgium, most everyone thinks instantly of waffles. While Belgium did have incredible waffles, there was so much more this small country gave me.  Belgium sometimes gets overlooked because of its more popular neighbors of Netherlands and France.  Let me tell you, if Belgium isn't on your radar, it needs to be! This little hidden gem of a country gave me so much good food, good atmosphere and good memories. Come with me as we travel to Belgium, and yes, there will be waffles.





Brussels, Belgium




 I told you there would be waffles.  This decadent fresh fruit waffle was almost too pretty to eat.  I was surprised that the waffle itself wasn't as sweet as waffles here in the States.  It was delicious nonetheless and such a great way to treat myself on my first day!!




 There wasn't a shortage of sweet offerings throughout Belgium.  This candy display was in Brussels and in every town I visited, there were multiple chocolate/candy shops. The smells wafting through the streets were intoxicating. I imagine it would be the most similar to what Willie Wonka Chocolate factory would be like if it were real. 





I purchased some dark chocolate from this shop pictured and learned some of its fascinating history. Mary's chocolate shops have been around since 1919 and the original shop was located in Brussels and Mary, the namesake, was the very first female chocolate maker in Belgium. For the early 1900's, that is quite an accomplishment. There are several Mary's Chocolate shops scattered throughout Belgium.  Each shop has the same feel and, of course, delicious chocolate!!




























The Grand Place Market is just that, GRAND!! If the architecture of the buildings doesn't 'wow' you, then the gold gilding will!!  The market was a bustling place day and night with its cafes, coffee shops and restaurants. One of my favorite things to do was to leisurely amble through the different shops and people watch in the open market. I think I ate something different from at least 3 or 4 various cafes. This Market is definitely quintessential Europe!






 
There were hidden treasures all throughout Brussels if you just looked.  I think my favorite was the quaint alleyways draped with the ivy.  They had such a storybook feel that I couldn't help but amble in and out. 









The Royal Palace of Brussels is the official palace of the King and Queen of the Belgians.  It is not used as a royal residence any longer, but it is the King's main administrative residence and main workplace for him and his staff. It is a MASSIVE building with several detached buildings that are a part of the main building complex. 




Brussels warmed my heart and filled my tummy with incredible sights, sounds and smells.  I am so glad I chose to stay here and make this great city my hub for my European vacation.  



In my next blog, I'll share about two cities that are less than a train ride away from each other but are so different!  Bruges and Antwerp are both vibrant cities but the energy is so different! I loved them both and I can't wait to share them with you!!  





Until next time, be brave, be bold and book the trip!  You never know what adventures are out there until you just go!!  Much Love! H

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Moment Is Everything.

I was fortunate to travel to Alaska for 9 days in June. The wildness, beauty and expanse of Alaska is something everyone should experience i...