Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Pack Lightly and Carry a Big Heart

When it comes to packing, it can be an art. I have learned how to pack, what to pack and most importantly, what NOT to pack. 

On my first international trip to London, I'll never forget how insanely large my suitcase was!! I had a large, full size, hard shell suitcase that I checked! It was a rolling suitcase so it was cumbersome pulling it along the cobblestone streets and don't get me started on riding the Tube with that monstrosity!! I'm happy to report I've learned a few things over the years!

First thing, carry on, carry on, CARRY ON!!! With baggage fees constantly going up, you can't afford not to pack light! 

One of the best investments I've ever made was a 3 pack of packing cubes from Rick Steeves website. These are incredible! They keep your clothes tight and compact, giving you so much more space in your bag!

Here you can see that I have 2 of the cubes packed up and ready. 
The second best investment I made was a backpack style carry on bag. This too was purchased from Rick Steeves website. I'm a fan of Rick, what can I say?! 

My packing now consists of figuring new ways to pack EVEN lighter than the previous trip. I decided to go with a regular sized backpack with this trip because I was nervous about the overhead space on my flight from London to Norway. Here is the backpack I am using along with all I am packing. 


 So you can see I have my work cut out for me!! I did quite a bit of thinking before actually putting the items in the backpack. I knew packing the hiking boots could pose a challenge so I put them in first and went from there. It was a puzzle!


 The good thing about this backpack was the smaller pockets and pouches it has. I took advantage of the smaller side pouches and rolled socks to put in here and they fit great!

I decided to use a smaller hiking backpack to wear in front because I knew I would need something bigger than a purse. I decided to take a full size camera since I'm hoping to see the Northern Lights, I knew I would need more than my phone camera to capture them. This smaller backpack worked perfectly as my personal bag to slide underneath the seat in front of me! 

So here you have it, the finished product! 9 days of travel compressed into 2 backpacks. 

So what are some takeaway tips??

1. Packing cubes! Find some and truly make them work!
2. Do some thought ahead of actually packing and decide what you absolutely need and what you do not. 
3. Toiletries need to ALL fit inside a quart sized plastic bag that CAN be closed. Practice this and decide what toiletries you can't purchase once at your destination or which ones you can skip bringing. For example, I keep travel sized toiletries on hand of a variety of things such as my face wash, shampoo, dry shampoo, etc. I do this so I know what I already have and what I might need. 
4. To piggy back on toiletries, I NEVER travel with a hair dryer or any styling irons. For me, it's not necessary, my hair air dries fine and besides, I'm not there to impress anyone. 
5. Remember, the trip is about the destination and the adventures you are going to have, NOT about looking like you just walked off a fashion runway. Don't get hung up on the stuff; bring the essentials and forget the rest! 

I'm all set to embark on my next adventure, packed up and ready to go! 



Packing light can be done and trust me, the lighter load will be worth it! 

Until next time, pack light, tread lightly and bring home nothing but memories! 

Much Love, H

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Moment Is Everything.

I was fortunate to travel to Alaska for 9 days in June. The wildness, beauty and expanse of Alaska is something everyone should experience i...