Monday, April 1, 2019

To Market, To Market!!

There is nothing better than a unique, quirky open air market. London is full of these great little hidden gems, you just need to know where to look.

One of my favorite markets is Covent Garden. It's not hidden, nor is it unknown, but it is a great place to amble and shop. The great thing about Covent Garden is that you can watch a street performer, have lunch and buy a unique gift all in a small proximity. The vibe at Covent Garden is relaxed and peaceful, I can spend hours winding through the shops and enjoying the entertainment.




Covent Garden is an open air market with an open arcade where there is ample space for sitting and enjoying your lunch or visiting with friends. You can usually be treated to live music in this space as well, adding to the ambiance. By far, Covent Garden is a top destination for me whenever I'm in London, I know I'll always find and see something new!

An equally fun, but tad more eccentric market is the Jubilee Market which is located across the street, almost adjoining to Covent Garden. This handy location makes is perfect for a day filled with shopping and exploring.





The Jubilee Market had so many fun booths filled to the brim with antiques, oddities and collectibles. You never knew what was lurking right around the corner! I could've spent all day looking at all the many different and one of a kind booths!!

Since I had been to London various times before, I knew I wanted to find a market that I'd never visited. I pulled up google and discovered the Old Spitalfields Market in the Whitechapel District. I was familiar with the area since I am a fan of Jack the Ripper history so I was excited to hop on the tube and explore!!

Old Spitalfields did NOT disappoint!!  It was rainy, which made for a perfect day of market shopping! There were two distinct areas of the market, the old and the new. The Old market was primarily antique booths and collectibles. The new market was mostly current clothes, collectibles and trinkets. I enjoyed both, but the old was my favorite! 





So many old treasures to look at and purchase! When they say 'vintage clothing', they meant it!! I ended up purchasing a few things but I wanted so much more!!!  This was a perfect, new market to add to my list of must visit places!! The entire Whitechapel area is a neat part of London with a rich history. It is becoming one of my favorite districts of the city!

When you are traveling, don't be afraid to venture off the beaten path and explore quaint markets and shops, you'll be glad you did! Stay exploring and keep looking for those adventures! They're out there, sometimes you just need to look for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Moment Is Everything.

I was fortunate to travel to Alaska for 9 days in June. The wildness, beauty and expanse of Alaska is something everyone should experience i...