Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Slow Down, Be Present.

February, March and April 2020 will go down in history as the time the entire world dealt with a pandemic. A novel coronavirus ravaged the globe with upper respiratory illness and in many cases, death. 

During this time, many of us find ourselves in some form of lockdown or extreme social distancing. As a small business owner myself, this was a scary decision to close my salon. I understand the decision is the correct one, but still scary. 

As many of us are navigating our new normal, I have found myself diving into hobbies I haven't participated in quite some time. 

In the last few days, I have completed a 750 piece puzzle, a hobby I loved as a kid. 



I haven't completed a puzzle in years and it was such a welcome challenge mentally. 

In addition to my puzzle, I have been reading more, gardening more and even painting! I haven't painted in over 4 years! 



I feel that maybe this time inside and slowing down can help us all. Physically, yes we are flattening the curve, but what about mentally? I can't help but think how this time spent with our immediate family, taking things slow and participating in things that fill us with joy, will help our overall mental health. 

I, for one, can easily be described as a workaholic. These past few days have helped me to slow down and take the time to do things I love. I don't have the guilty feelings as I would if I were working. I see these hobbies as things to help ease my mind and calm my spirit while I am unable to work. 

Maybe this pandemic will be a wake up call for us all to slow down. Maybe after all of this, we will realize that our worth isn't measured by our productivity. Maybe finally, we will see how rest and rejuvenation is just as important as work. 


We will get through this together.  We will eventually get back to work, but in the meantime, dust off those hobbies you loved. Read a book, complete a puzzle, play an instrument or draw a picture... take this time to find what sparks joy. Remember. we are in this together. ❤

Much Love, 
H.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

This Moment Is Everything.

I was fortunate to travel to Alaska for 9 days in June. The wildness, beauty and expanse of Alaska is something everyone should experience i...